Once you’ve received that important CDL license, you’ll be eager to put it to work. You’ll quickly find that there’s a wide variety of driver jobs available if you haven’t already taken the time to look. Before you start, decide what type of CDL job you’d like to find. Ask yourself the following questions to narrow down your choices:
- Would you like to travel across the country and see the sites for weeks at a time?
- Would you rather be at home every night?
- Does an impressive big rig appeal to you, or would you prefer to drive something a little smaller?
- Do you want to work for a small company, a large company, or operate as an independent truck driver?
- Are you comfortable joining a union?
- Are you able to unload heavy freight or would rather handle small packages?
- Are you comfortable delivering in residential areas or would you rather stick with commercial services?
- Do you like people, or would your rather work alone?
Of course, this is just a small set of the questions you can ask yourself. Not all of them will apply to your situation, but it’s important that you have some idea of what you’re looking for in a CDL job before you start your search. After all, you worked hard for that CDL license, and it wouldn’t be much of a reward if you end up in a job that you hate.
Job Placement for CDL Jobs
Whether you attended a certified CDL training program or obtained your license through some other method, job placement services are always available. If your school doesn’t have a time limit on their job assistance program, contact them for help with your job search. They usually have the best idea of which trucking companies are hiring in your area.
Other job placement services are also available to connect the CDL driver with a reputable trucking company. While it’s always best to get a personal reference from a fellow driver before using a job placement service, anyone can find several by looking in their local phonebook, in a trade magazine, or doing a quick online search. Remember that the company that hires you should pay any type of fee. Other than for CDL training, you should never have to pay to find a job. This list includes a few CDL job placement companies to get you started:
- http://www.bigtrucksbigbucks.com/ – Big Trucks Big Bucks is a job placement site operated by Trucking Careers of America. This company offers an online application process for recent graduates and seasoned truckers for over-the-road (OTR) positions.
- http://www.driverscdlstaffing.com/ – CDL Staffing offers both company-sponsored CDL training and job placement services for experienced drivers. An online application process is available.
- http://www.flatbedjobs.com/ – Flatbed jobs is an online placement service for drivers who specifically want to drive a flatbed truck.
Online and Print Ads for CDL Jobs
Some companies choose to recruit their own CDL drivers instead of paying a finder’s fee to a job placement service. Many will advertise in trade magazines that cater to the trucking industry. Most local newspapers include a special drivers section in their regular want ads, and online ads are available to widen your search even further. In addition to standard job search engines that are used for a variety of professions, there are a few that concentrate on CDL jobs. Sites like www.truckersearch.com allows drivers to post their resume into a database that many trucking companies use to search for CDL job candidates. A different type of site, http://www.cdljobs.com/, lets the CDL driver choose the companies that they like, and CDL jobs will deliver their information directly to each human resources department.
Cold Calling for CDL Jobs
If there’s a company that you would really love to work for, give them a call. Even if they’re not hiring at this time, it will allow you to get your foot in the door. If you’re lucky, they might be in dire need of another CDL driver. When there aren’t any openings, ask them to keep your information on hand and call you at any time they need your services. Remember to keep checking back. If they get the idea that you really want to work for them, they might just remember you the next time they need a new CDL driver.
Trucking Company Websites for CDL Jobs
One way to get a CDL job with a major trucking company is to check their corporate website. In some cases, you’ll find a list of job openings and an online application process. This is also a good way to prepare for the interview process. Review the website including financial information so that you can show you know something about both the trucking company and the job. Most interviewers appreciate the fact that a potential candidate is actually interested in their company. Here are a few trucking companies that have online job applications:
- Federal Express – http://fedex.hodesiq.com/careers/job_search.aspx?User_ID=
- Schneider National – http://www.schneiderjobs.com/OTR/
- Con-Way – http://www.con-way.com/en/careers
- Werner Enterprises – http://www.werner.com/content/carriers/qualified_carrier_opportunities/